Monday, May 9, 2011

Some Drawings and Thoughts

Here's a few drawings I've done this year (below).

A few things seem to be converging with my work, my thinking and my upcoming Australia trip. I've frequently thought that my work is as much about my internal world as the external, natural world. I'm interested in this relationship, not just between the external and internal, but the specifically external natural world and how my relationship to it affects my psychology. Until recently, I never gave much thought to whom else might have investigated this issue. But I finally did wonder about this and happened upon Paul Shepard, who is considered one of the founders of a field called ecopsychology, which is still very mysterious to me. His most influential book is Nature and Madness. The fundamental theme behind his writing is our alienation from nature and its psychological impact. I'm sure I'll be revisiting this in greater detail in the future.






1 comment:

  1. Glad to have been pointed to your blog!

    I'm fascinated by these drawings, and will be very interested to hear your developing thoughts on Shepard.

    ReplyDelete