Monday, April 11, 2011

Being More

I would like my work to be a part of something larger, but what would that something be? This is a complicated question for me, because I've always tried to be engaged in a search for purpose. So much so that I wouldn't do something without some idea of its purpose or relevance. This means that there's a lot I convinced myself not to do. Sometimes purpose isn't immediately apparent, but this doesn't mean those things are value-less. Sometimes "purpose" in my mind was really an obligation to fulfill expectations of what artists do and who they are. I would defer my desires for what I thought had purpose. This is no way to be or to make art. It does not benefit others to keep your will to freedom at bay, even if this doesn't necessarily make sense.

Japan Tsunami 2011

Japan Tsunami 2011

I remember just after I started grad school at the University of New Mexico, 9/11 happened. Of course, there was a lot of group discussion about this. Some felt that it suddenly seemed trivial to be making art objects and images. What would these really do in the grand scheme of things? A good question, and one that no one can answer for anyone else. I'm really glad that there are people who make political and social-based art, but I'm equally glad for artists like Bruce Nauman and Richard Tuttle, whose work deals with, among other things, the absurd, the banal and the quirky.

Richard Tuttle

No comments:

Post a Comment