Wednesday, July 8, 2009

art assessment


the lack of funds and fan base makes it difficult to determine the right path. trusting myself has never been easy. i have no intention of being a martyr and alienating myself from the public because of my ideals. i really do want to do work that people can appreciate. sometimes i fear that there's not enough in my work for people to relate to. i feel this is more true about my acrylic paintings than my ink on paper works. at least those have a strong sense of space and light. they also more closely reference natural forms such as vines and branches. the acrylic works are abstract, so whatever interest they have depends on relationships between colors, shapes, textures, etc. within the picture plane. i believe meaningful experiences can still be had from abstract painting, but you have to have a brand of abstraction that works for today's audience. someone who i think does this is the german painter, tomma abts, whose painting is shown above. her abstractions are graphically strong, hard-edged and have moments of 3-d illusion. these are all qualities that relate the work with graphic design -- except that in her works formal relationships are the paramount concern instead of a means to an end. people encounter the work of graphic designers on a daily basis far more than they do of artists (even though, i admit, that line between the two is vague at times). this makes the language of her work a language most people already understand and acknowledge as part of the world we live in. they can easily move on to the substance of the work without having to learn her visual language.

i think you have to sacrifice something to make good work. i'm afraid that my recent efforts with acrylic have been too self-indulgent. there must be some effort to strike common ground with viewers, and this is something i have not done with the paintings yet.

2 comments:

  1. I am of the opinion (offered here freely and sans solicitation) that form is dictated by the need of a project. That is to say the thing that I am working on will in and of itself take shape through the forms I know based on my need to have it exist. When I became too conscious of form, I feel quite constrained and the result appears to me in all respects and unsatisfying victim of constraint.
    Form helps me to analyze what I have done with regard to which direction I might be heading, but when I'm attempting to write something/create something - it's really just dangerous noise that gets in my way.
    Other artists are really good.
    They hit an idea either very well or very early. I have to remind myself that there isn't a limited amount of good work out there- which is to say that someone else's success isn't pulling money out of my pocket.
    I enjoy reading your thoughts on art immensely. It's enjoyable to see someone both talented and thoughtful reflect on their journey. Keep writing (and working.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, ken. your points are well taken. i greatly appreciate your insights.

    ReplyDelete